Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Value of Lays...

In Pakistan, the culture is such that if anyone is going somewhere you have loved ones you are bound to burden them with gifts to take on your behalf. There are two reasons for that. Firstly, we are too cheap to parcel things through regular mail. Secondly we always have something or the other to send, even if its a letter, or cash or chocolate. May be its a way of telling those far away from us that we remember them, or maybe its a way for us to tell ourselves that we still have a connection to what we left long time ago.
Anyway, a friend of mine was leaving for Karachi today. I handed her an American Eagle bag (intentionally, so the reciever recognizes the brand) with random selection of things in it. At that time I was super excited but upon reflection I realised the items were so basic and unnecessary yet they symbolised so much.
The first thing I bought for my sister and aunt were electronic toothbrushes. Yes you may be thinking Pakistan isnt that deprived, especially the up and coming metropolitan Karachi. There are electronic toothbrushes in Karachi, probably cheaper also. But knowing the lifestyle of those back home, I doubt they would indulge in such shopping. To them its just a toothbrush whether manual or electronic. To them its a waste of time and money to go buy. I sent it because I wanted to share this technology with them. If I can use it, they can use it. Its a way of connecting for me to be able to share this little joy of easy brushing. Moreover I know a little gesture of mine would make my aunt a proud lady infront of her husband and her loved ones that her niece sent her something "cool" from Canada.
The next item worth detailing was EXCEL gum, in a tick tack box easy to carry around. Again its one of those things im sure pakistan has but I felt like sending it. When I was in Karachi and our uncle would visit us from America, we would wait anxiously for our respective ziplock packs of chocolate with carefull divided goodies so that everyone gets the same. I remember eating the m and m's soo gladly and compared to the "foreign" goodies, local chocolates seemed and were infact of inferior quality. Also once again my aunt, who is my life and my everything is a very cute woman with a teenager's heart. I know she will carry the gum in her purse and give one to her husband and eat one herself on their long journey from Gulshan to Defense everyday. Also, chewing gum is an essential component in my purse, car and dollar store shopping. I wanted to share it with them I guess.
The last item I want to talk about are chips. I was unable to send chips because the very kind sender although did offer, but did not have space and there was a last minute confusion as to how she should stuff the inflated back of Munchies. However I remember sending chips a while before. Once again, Lays and Doritos are available in Karachi, at big supermarkets on sky high prices. But because of the prices, average people dont buy them. They stick to the RS35 Kings chips or Nimco. The first time I took back a Party Mix I remember my relatives went insane. Each chip eaten was followed with ten praises. Not only praise for chips but quality of Canadian goodies. After that I tried to send them as many times I could. In Pakistan any form of food is always welcome. We are gladly self-fattening people very proud of our eating heritage. On top of that if an item has an added "foreign" brand attached to it.. its a definate hit. Moreover my aunt and I used to be junk-a-holics when I was in Pakistan. Always eating samosa's, chaat, sandwhiches, chips etc. Once again I guess this is also to remind her that I miss her whenever I eat chips.
In the end I wonder how much of it is to make them happy and how much of it is to remind myself that I am not yet disconnected from that life? Whatever the answer, I think it doesnt matter. The recievers will get the joy of presents, which always feels good to get, and I as the sender recieve the pleasure of making a connection. Its a win win all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment